Kuboso Memorial Museum of Arts, Izumi

Kuboso was a cotton weaving company that was in operation for over 100 years, and flourished as one of the most successful corporations in the Senshu region. It was established by Sotaro Kubo (1863–1928) in 1886, who was then succeeded by Sotaro Kubo II (1889–1944), Tadakiyo Kubo (1900–1954), and Sotaro Kubo III (1926–1984). Throughout this extensive period, it was very active and played a major role in the development and prosperity of Izumi City. When the business closed in 1977, Sotaro Kubo III donated its art collection along with the museum building, the site it is located on, and generous funds to the city, to help with regional and cultural development. Thereafter, in October 1982, the museum was opened on the premises of the former residence of the Kubo family with the name taken from the name of the founder, Sotaro Kubo.
In 1997, the Annex was donated by Tsunehiko Kubo, the 5th generation member of the Kubo family and the honorary director of the museum. Since then, this site of approx. 16,500m² has grown to what it is today, with additional endowments, by the Kubo family or those related to the company, of a music hall, citizens’ gallery, citizens’ workshop studio, and a research institute.

Collection Areas

General Information

6-12, 3-chome, Uchida-cho,
Izumi City, Osaka 594-1156
Japan
Phone: (+81) 725-54-0001

http://www.ikm-art.jp/en/

Related Exhibitions